Blog

Alzheimer’s Study Sees 10 Percent Increase in Patient Retention with the ClinCard Solution

According to the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, the national plan to address Alzheimer’s Disease has set an ambitious goal: to both prevent and effectively treat Alzheimer’s disease by 2025. To reach this goal, tens of thousands of volunteers are needed to participate in clinical trials to test promising new interventions and therapies. To mobilize these efforts, it is critical to achieve a better understanding of the barriers keeping people from participating in Alzheimer’s research. Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA), in its report on Alzheimer’s drug development, noted that recruiting and retaining clinical trial participants is “currently the greatest obstacle to developing new Alzheimer’s treatments.”

In an Alzheimer’s study conducted in the U.S. and Canada, in an effort to improve the patient experience and ensure continued participation through the end of the study, the ClinCard solution was provided to 1,000 of the 2,500 patients enrolled across 214 sites.

During the course of the trial, patients had 13 total study visits scheduled, with a significant increase in time between each visit in the second half of the study, which typically causes a drop in patient engagement.

In fact, in the group of patients that were not using the ClinCard solution, more than 130 patients dropped out of the study in the last 4-5 visits. This number was reduced by more than half in the group that was using ClinCard solution, where only 60 patients who dropped out of the study. When looking at the data prior to and following the ClinCard implementation, there was nearly a 10 percent increase in overall patient retention, going from 75 percent to 85 percent.

Patient retention and ongoing participation can rely on a variety of factors, especially in sensitive studies such as Alzheimer’s where patients are relying on a care giver (or numerous care givers) for follow ups and treatment. The ClinCard solution is uniquely designed to address these sensitive trials and eliminate any financial hurdles that could potentially stand in the way of keeping the patient from continuing to participate in the study, resulting in a better experience, a better trial and better results.

Rick Ward
Written by Rick Ward

Vice President, Business Development